Mangaung Metro Municipality, in terms of its Water Services By-law and Credit Control & Debt Collection By-law, warns residents and businesses against illegal connections and reconnection of water meters after they have
been disconnected by the Municipality for accounts in arrears over 90 days.
Illegal connections and reconnections may result in the following penalties:
- The property’s water meter may be removed;
- A 30% deposit for residential properties on the outstanding balance of the account should be paid for an arrangement;
- A 50% deposit for businesses on the outstanding balance of the account should be paid for an arrangement;
- A penalty fee, in terms of the above-mentioned By-laws, may be charged for any illegal connection or any reconnection after disconnection by the Municipality; and
- Legal action may also be taken against private plumbers who assist residents or businesses in any illegal connections or reconnections of water meters.
These unlawful acts may be reported to Khethiwe Selepe via email on Khethiwe.Selepe@mangaung.co.za or call 051 405 8527 during office hours. The above-mentioned by-laws are available on the municipal website:
ACTING CITY MANAGER – TEBOHO MAINE
Issued by MMM Communications www.mangaung.co.za
Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality Official Call Centre- 0800 111 300